December is full of distractions and it’s all too easy to get out of the exercise habit. You’ve already got so much to do. There’s present shopping, meals to plan, friends to catch up with, family to visit, school concerts to attend, Christmas trees to buy – the list is endless.
Whilst you may think that cutting out exercise will relieve some of the pressure you’re under it can actually make things worse. Let me share my top five reasons as to why now is not the time to ditch your exercise routine:
- Exercise is a powerful stress reliever. It boosts all those feel good chemicals likes serotonin and in some cases can be as effective as medication but without those horrible side effects.
- You can use exercise as some much needed time for yourself away from moaning work colleagues or over excited children.
- Exercise will elevate your mood, energy levels and body confidence. If you’re feeling grumpy, tired or a bit wobbly around the middle get out for a run, go for a swim or just run up and down the stairs a few times at home. You’ll be amazed at the difference it can make to your day.
- If you lack motivation why not make exercise a social time and use it as a way to catch up with friends. Or consider holding a walking business meeting as an alternative to another sit down session. A change of scenery can often stimulate thinking and create smart solutions far more effectively than a powerpoint presentation!
- Finally, exercise can often put you in the right frame of mind to take a healthier approach to your eating habits. Step away from the Quality Street and invest in some exotic fruit!
So if you’re already feeling stressed out by Christmas go exercise! I guarantee you’ll be less tired and grumpy in the lead up to the big day!
To find out more about the best way to exercise for weight loss apply for a Smart Start to a Slimmer You consultation.